Liz and Dick are emotionally unleashed in WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?
Mike Nichols’ directorial debut Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? (1966), starring Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Burton and George Segal will be coming to BluRay from Warner Archives on April 12. BUY FROM AMAZON
Set in New England, the film centers on a college history professor named George (Richard Burton) and his hard drinking, loudmouthed wife Martha (Elizabeth Taylor) the daughter of the school’s president. When they invite a young couple (George Segal and Sandy Dennis) over to their home for a drink, the craziness begins as George and Martha unleash their frustrations and personal issues onto them. The emotions are at an all time high, in this explosive, funny and heartbreaking look into the lives of broken people.
Synopsis: Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton are ideal as malevolent marrieds Martha and George in first-time film director Mike Nichols’s searing film of Edward Albee’s groundbreaking Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?. Taylor won her second Academy Award (and New York Film Critics, National Board of Review and British Film Academy Best Actress Awards). Burton matchers her as her emotionally spent spouse. And George Segal and Bust Supporting Actress Oscar winner Sandy Dennis score as another couple straying into their destructive path. The movie won a total of five Academy Awards and remains after four decades a taboo-toppling landmark.
• Commentary by Mike Nichols and Steven Soderbergh
• Commentary by Haskell Wexler
• Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf: Too Shocking for its Time (Featurette)
• Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf: A Daring Work of Raw Excellence (Featurette)
• 1966 Barbara Walters Interview
• 6 Sandy Dennis Screen Tests
• Intimate Portrait: Elizabeth Taylor (Documentary Feature)
• The Comedians Trailer
• The Sandpiper Trailer
• The V.I.P.’s Trailer
• Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf? Trailer (HD)